Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS): Consolidated Survey Form, 1990
- United States Department of Education. National Center for Education Statistics
- Archival Version (Subtitle)
- Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) Series
AbstractThe consolidated (CN) survey form was used for the first time in 1990-1991 to collect information from a subset of the 10,500 postsecondary institutions in the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) universe. IPEDS collects information on such topics as institutional characteristics, enrollments, completions, finance, staff, and libraries. All schools in the IPEDS universe were asked to complete an institutional characteristics form. Approximately 3,600 institutions of higher education (i.e., those that are accredited at the college level by an agency recognized by the Secretary, United States Department of Education) plus another 400 nonaccredited schools that grant a bachelor's, master's, doctoral, or first-professional degree were asked to complete the full complement of IPEDS surveys. Of the remaining 6,500 postsecondary schools who were eligible to receive the Consolidated (CN) survey form, 2,998 schools were sent the form, of which 2,472 responded. The following data were requested from institutions using the CN survey form: (1) fall enrollment for 1990, by racial/ethnic category and sex of student, (2) completions for the 1989-1990 academic year, by field of study and award level and by racial/ethnic category and sex of recipient, (3) financial statistics for fiscal year 1990, including revenue/tuition fees, expenditures/scholarship, and other expenditures, and (4) selected data on libraries on total FTE staff, operating expenses, and total circulation transactions. The single CN form was substituted for the four more detailed IPEDS surveys that were sent to the accredited/degree-granting institutions. Data for the CN respondent institutions appear on both the CN file and on the individual IPEDS adapt files for the fall enrollment, completions, finance, and libraries surveys.
MethodsICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection: Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes..
MethodsResponse Rates: 94.8 percent
Table of Contents
- DS1: Dataset
Time period: 1990
(1) This was the first time the consolidated survey form was used for nonaccredited institutions offering awards other than a bachelor's, master's, doctoral, or first-professional degree. Information collected from these institutions is less detailed than information collected from other IPEDS respondents. The collection contains data for 91 four-year institutions, 1,046 two-year schools, and 1,335 less-than-two-year institutions. (2) This study is a card image file with multiple (varying) records per case. Each school is represented multiple times in the file depending upon how many parts they completed (A-D) and the types of student information they provided (e.g., separate records for full and part-time). (3) The codebook is provided by ICPSR as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file. The PDF file format was developed by Adobe Systems Incorporated and can be accessed using PDF reader software, such as the Adobe Acrobat Reader. Information on how to obtain a copy of the Acrobat Reader is provided on the ICPSR Web site.
- 2213 (Type: ICPSR Study Number)
Is previous version of
Update Metadata: 2015-08-05 | Issue Number: 6 | Registration Date: 2015-06-15