California Department of Corrections Data
- Kaplan, Jacob (University of Pennsylvania)
AbstractThis data is from the California Prisoners and Parolees reports 1993-2010 which include summary statistics about inmates in the California prison system. While these reports include various data, the only data available here is the number of people admitted to prison from each county for each year. This number is subdivided by those with a new felony and parole violators with a new term.
I added Census county and state FIPS codes for easier merging with other data.
The following variables are available in this data.
- State-County FIPS
- State FIPS
- County FIPS
- Total number of people admitted to prison
- Total admission percent (% that county contributed to total admissions)
- Total admissions rate per 100k people in that county
- Number of felons with new admissions
- Felons with new admissions percent (% that county contributed to total admissions)
- Number of parole violators returned with a new term
- Parole violators returned with a new term percent (% that county contributed to total admissions)
The code used to scrape, clean, and test this data is available here: https://github.com/jacobkap/california_prisons
Update Metadata: 2019-02-24 | Issue Number: 1 | Registration Date: 2019-02-24