Climate Change and Educational Attainment in the Global Tropics
- Randell, Heather (University of Maryland, College Park)
- Gray, Clark (University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill)
AbstractThis project contains the Stata code as well as additional information used for the following paper:
Randell, H & C Gray (Forthcoming). Climate Change and Educational Attainment in the Global Tropics. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
The data are publicly available and can be accessed freely. The census data were obtained from IPUMS-International (https://international.ipums.org/international/) and the climate data were obtained from the CRU-Time Series Version 4.00 (http://data.ceda.ac.uk//badc/cru/data/cru_ts/cru_ts_4.00/).
We include three do-files in this project:
- "Climate_-1_to_5.do" -- this file was used to convert the climate data into z-scores of climatic conditions experienced during ages -1 to 5 years among children in the sample.
- "ClimEducation_PNAS_FINAL.do" -- this file was used to process the census data downloaded from IPUMS-International, link it to the climate data, and perform all of the analyses in the study.
- "Climate_6-10_and_11-current.do" -- this file was used to convert the climate data into z-scores of climatic conditions experienced during ages 6-10 and 11-current age among children in the sample.
We include Python scripts for extracting monthly climate data for each 10-year temperature and precipitation file downloaded from CRU. "py0_60" extracts data for years one through five, and "py61_120" extracts data for years six through ten.
Lastly, we include an excel file with inclusion/exclusion criteria for the countries and censuses available from IPUMS.
Update Metadata: 2019-04-01 | Issue Number: 1 | Registration Date: 2019-04-01