Using Public Health Databases to Analyze Legal Intervention Shootings, United States, 2006-2017
- Hemenway, David
- Archival Version (Subtitle)
- Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice
gun use; homicide; intervention; police; police reports
AbstractThis project used national databases to describe the incidence and distribution of fatal and nonfatal police shootings and to develop an empirically based typology of legal intervention homicides. To accomplish this, the study team evaluated the comprehensiveness of the National Violent Death Reporting System (NVDRS) for fatal police shootings along with various open-source databases. The study team also explained the variation across states in fatal police shootings using a validated national database (Washington Post "Fatal Force Database") and is currently examining the variation in fatal police shooting across urban vs. rural areas.
AbstractThe purpose of this study was to use national databases to describe the incidence and distribution of fatal and nonfatal police shootings and to develop an empirically based typology of legal intervention homicides.
MethodsICPSR data undergo a confidentiality review and are altered when necessary to limit the risk of disclosure. ICPSR also routinely creates ready-to-go data files along with setups in the major statistical software formats as well as standard codebooks to accompany the data. In addition to these procedures, ICPSR performed the following processing steps for this data collection: Checked for undocumented or out-of-range codes..
MethodsPresence of Common Scales: None.
- DS0: Study-Level Files
- DS1: Crowdsourced LIH Linked 2015 in 27 States Data
- DS2: LIHs by County with Urban Rural Designations 2015-2018 Data
- DS3: LIHs by ZCTA with Urban Rural Designations Data
- DS4: Nonfatal Legal Intervention Injuries 2006-2014 Aggregated By NCHS Urban-Rural Data
- DS5: State-Level Washington Post Fatal Force 2015-2017 Data
Time period: 2006-01-01--2014-12-31
2006-01-01 / 2014-12-31
Time period: 2015-01-01--2017-12-31
2015-01-01 / 2017-12-31
Collection date: 2018-07-01--2019-06-30
2018-07-01 / 2019-06-30
- 37339 (Type: ICPSR Study Number)
Is previous version of
Conner, Andrew, Azrael, Deborah, Lyons, Vivian H., Barber, Catherine, Miller, Matthew. Validating the National Violent Death Reporting System as a source of data on fatal shootings of civilians by law enforcement officers. American Journal of Public Health.109, (4), 578-584.2019.
- ID: 10.2105/AJPH.2018.304904 (DOI)
Update Metadata: 2020-06-30 | Issue Number: 2 | Registration Date: 2020-06-30