Addressing Under-reporting of Minor Victim Sex Trafficking, Florida, 2011-2017
- Gibbs, Deborah
- Archival Version (Subtitle)
- Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research
- United States Department of Justice. Office of Justice Programs. National Institute of Justice
child welfare; human trafficking; sex offenses; sex trafficking
AbstractThis study addresses the underreporting of minor victim sex trafficking, by describing the number and characteristics of children with allegations of sex or labor trafficking investigated by Florida's Department of Children and Families (DCF). Analyses conducted within the grant include descriptive work on how children with investigated allegations of human trafficking differ from others in the child welfare population, human trafficking allegations among children with missing from care episodes, and labor trafficking of children. Analyses also use mixture models to describe risk profiles associated with trafficking victimization and the under-identification of trafficking.
AbstractThis study seeks to determine characteristics and numbers of minor sex trafficking victims using records of children with allegations of sex or labor trafficking investigated by Florida's Department of Children and Families (DCF). Administrative data and statistical modeling was used to determine potential for underreporting of trafficking within DCF, distinctions between subpopulations of trafficked children and relationships between county- or region-level factors and the number and characteristics of trafficked minors identified.
MethodsThe study population of deidentified records of 1,047,081 children was collected from Florida Department of Children and Families administrative data records. Analysis included descriptive and multivariate methods, including logistic regression.
MethodsVariables include child characteristics (month and year of birth, sex, race, Hispanic ethnicity), allegations (date, type of maltreatment, investigation findings), placements (supervised in-home care or out-of-home placement in foster care, relative care, group homes, residential treatment facilities), and missing from care episodes (date missing and returned).
- DS0: Study-Level Files
- DS1: Allegation Raw Restricted-Use Data
- DS2: Base Raw Restricted-Use Data
- DS3: Missing Child Raw Restricted-Use Data
- DS4: Placement Raw Restricted-Use Data
- DS5: Allegation Final Restricted-Use Data
- DS6: Base Final Restricted-Use Data
- DS7: Missing Child Final Restricted-Use Data
- DS8: Placement Final Restricted-Use Data
- DS9: Removal Final Restricted-Use Data
- DS10: Child Level Restricted-Use Data
- DS11: Event Dates Restricted-Use Data
- DS12: Events Ht Restricted-Use Data
- DS13: Ht Restricted-Use Data
Time period: 2011-01-01--2017-12-31
2011-01-01 / 2017-12-31
- 37169 (Type: ICPSR Study Number)
Is previous version of
Update Metadata: 2020-11-30 | Issue Number: 2 | Registration Date: 2020-11-30